Selkirk Library

Beginnings A citizens group called the Selkirk Literary Association was established around 1879, primarily to bring speakers to the town and to host debates. One topic in August 1879 was ‘…be it resolved that Canada is a better field for immigrants than the United States.’.  The society is mentioned sporadically through the 1880s, which suggests…

Masonic Lodge

Former Masonic Lodge – 209 Eaton Avenue The Lisgar Masonic Lodge is the second oldest Masonic lodge in Manitoba. It received its dispensation from the Grand Lodge of Canada on January 4, 1871, and its charter was issued on July 13, 1871. When the Manitoba Grand Lodge was established in 1875, Selkirk’s lodge became known…

This is a banner of the top of the old Selkirk water tower, with blue banner ribbons along the sides.

Selkirk Water Tower

In September of 1906, Selkirk ratepayers voted in favour of allowing its municipal government to borrow up to $150,000 to install a waterworks and sewer system for the town. The waterworks would distribute a pressurized, filtered water supply to a network of businesses, homes, and fire hydrants. Prior to this, residents relied on their own…

A banner of a yellow house with red doors and tree in front of it, with blue banner stripes on the sides.

202 Christie Avenue

The lonely and seemingly out of place house at 202 Christie Avenue — slated for demolition in 2020 — was home to the same family for a century. Frederick (Fred) Charles Barnard was born in England in 1883 and moved to Selkirk around 1908. Annie Harris Wilson was born in Canterbury, England and came to…

Memorial Hall

In February 1946, a group of people (representing more than two dozen community organizations) came together under the chairmanship of Louis G. Howard to form the Selkirk and District Memorial Committee. Their objective was to decide on a suitable memorial to the servicemen and women of the region who died in the Boer War, First…

Selkirk Arena

The Alexandra Rink Selkirk’s first indoor arena was established in 1907.  John W. Jones purchased the outdoor rink used by the Selkirk Skating Club on Fox Avenue near Main Street. Over it, he constructed what one account describes as a “concave-shaped, tin-covered monster” and christened it ‘Alexandra’, after his daughter. In its heyday of the…

Little Lake

Little Lake Park East end of Dorchester Avenue, R1A 02K Size: 44 acres (approx.) Little Lake Park was officially opened in 1991, but its roots date back to a much earlier greenspace called Daerwood Park. The first mention of Daerwood Park comes in the recollections of Mabel Vogen of the Selkirk Enterprise. In a 1954…

Murray Sinclair Park

Murray Sinclair Park 301 Queen Ave Murray Sinclair Park was one of a pair of playgrounds built by the Kinsmen Club of Selkirk in the mid-1950s. It was part of a national Kinsmen program to provide improved play opportunities for the new wave of children born immediately after the war. Kinsmen South Playground on Main…