The Beginning 1882-1883 Head of Inland Navigation 1884-1910 A New Industrial Era 1884-1910 Bitter Lessons 1929-1946 The Modern Town 1947-1979 Recent Years 1980-Present Selkirk Timeline
The Modern Town 1947-1979
The Devonshire Collegiate building became an elementary school.
The original Garry Theatre was built by Rothstein Theatres Ltd.
A 40,000-bushel wooden grain elevator was built by Manitoba Pool Elevators.
A new Selkirk Co-operative owned grain elevator was opened.
Memorial Hall was built and the Selkirk Arena was rebuilt after collapsing.
Fifteen people were employed at the new Coca-Cola bottling plant.
There was widespread flooding in April and May due to heavy snowfall in the winter and 2 x the normal rainfall in the spring.
Daerwood school was built to replace South-Ward School. The school division turned to its pupils to pick a name for the new school. The winning essay came from 10-year-old Barry Gordon, son of mayor W. E. Gordon.
The Manitoba Rolling Mills began a $1,000,000 expansion that created work for another 100 people.
6,218 people resided in Selkirk.
First Nations people were granted the right to vote in Manitoba provincial elections.
Bethel Church began construction.
The Garry Theatre suffered from a major fire in January. A new theatre was built and opened in April.
The Agriculture Fair was “revitalized” after the war and in 1954, it boasted the largest dairy cattle exhibition in the entire west and the participation of more than 400 4-H clubs.
Approximately 5,000 people attended the opening of the new hospital.
E. R. Gardner’s Selkirk Silica Company Limited was organized.
The Dyson Pickle Plant began operation.
Selkirk Collegiate Institute was built.
The Grace Baptist Church was organized.
Selkirk celebrates its 75 anniversary and publishes a history book.
The post office moved to a new location a few blocks south on Main St.
A new building opened for the Holy Eucharist Ukrainian Catholic Church. It was funded by a procession of 300 people from the old Greek Ukrainian Catholic Church and was built mostly from volunteer labour.
1200 patients resided at the “Selkirk Hospital for Mental Diseases” (Now known as the Selkirk Mental Health Centre).
Ruth Hooker School was built. The school was named after the Chair of the Selkirk School Board.
The present sanctuary of the Selkirk United Church was built.
A new school was built and was named after Robert Smith. He was Manager at the Rolling Mills, first Vice-President of the Selkirk General Hospital Board and a past Mayor of Selkirk.
The Lions Club of Selkirk was initially chartered (Re-charted in 1979).
The Carnegie Library was demolished for a new municipal office.
300 workers were laid off at the Rolling Mills due to fierce competition in the steel industry. Negotiations with the Untied Steelworkers of America Local 5442, threatened to strike if a new contract was not in place by August. The layoff of 120 more workers at the Rolling Mills triggered a 92-day strike.
First Nations people gained the right federally to vote without having to give up their status and treaty rights.
The previously mentioned Steelworkers strike ends when most of the men were rehired to provide steel for the Manitoba Power Commissions hydro-electric project at Grand Rapids.
A new water tower was built replacing the old one built in 1909.
8,576 people resided in Selkirk.
The Selkirk Curling Club opened a new facility.
A multi-million dollar modernization of the steel plant commenced but resulted in few new jobs as the work was of an automated nature.
Notre Dame Catholic Church opened a new building on Jemima Avenue.
The M.S. Paddlewheel Queen was constructed.
The S.S. Keenora was decommissioned.
The Selkirk Steelers Junior ‘A’ Hockey Club was founded when the modern-day Manitoba Junior Hockey League was formed.
M.S. River Rouge was constructed.
Canada celebrated its 100 year anniversary and Centennial School was built.
Consolidated Plastics, with about a projected 30 workers was built in the Industrial Park.
Ruth Hooker School and Victoria School amalgamated becoming Victoria-Ruth Hooker School.
The Lord Selkirk School Division No. 11 was created.
A Montreal firm, “Electro-Knit” built a $2 million fabric manufacturing facility in the Industrial Park.
Futronics opened a facility to manufacture electronics circuitry.
The Red River Floodway is completed.
The Lord Selkirk II is launched with a splash.
Narco Drugs opened a pharmaceutical manufacturing facility in the Industrial Park.
Lord Selkirk Regional Comprehensive Secondary School was built. The Selkirk Collegiate becomes Selkirk Jr. High.
The Victoria-Ruth Hooker School was renamed Ruth Hooker School.
The Marine Museum of Manitoba was established.
A new $2 million laundry facility was constructed for the Mental Health Centre and Winnipeg’s three municipal hospitals.
Gaynor Foods opened.
A new maximum-security federal prison was proposed for near the town. Due to vocal opposition to the proposal, the town council held a referendum on the issue with two to one being in favour of it.
The proposed prison was withdrawn due to a drastic restraint program.
The old Post Office was condomed as unfit for human habitation.