Historic Houses in the City of Selkirk

Selkirk has so many historic houses — some of which you probably pass by every day without even realizing!

Take a walk, bike, or drive through Selkirk and discover the history of our heritage houses and read all about them along the way.

Please do not enter any of the residential Heritage Houses — people still live there!

Historic Houses Tour map: PT 1

Historic Houses Tour map: PT 2

Historic Houses Tour map: PT 3

Photo shows the front of the Eaton Masonic Hall. The front door overhang supported by two pillars. Two windows on either side of the building.

Masonic Lodge

209 Eaton Avenue Lisgar Lodge #2 of the Masons was formed in Selkirk in February 1870 and chartered in July 1871. Meetings were held in various places in the area until this building was built in 1920. The building is brick on a wood frame. Renovated in 2019, the exterior features decorative brick belts and corbelling…

Read more
The photo shows the front of Colcleugh House located at 102 Pacific Avenue. The picture sows the front of the house, a two story building wiith two windows on the top floor and one on the bottom beside the front door.

Colcleugh House

102 Pacific Ave Built between 1872 and 1874 for Frederick W. Colcleugh who would become Selkirk’s second mayor, (he was also cousin to James Colcleugh who was the first mayor of Selkirk) this is an excellent example of a side hall house, typical of that period. It is supported by a fieldstone foundation and exterior…

Read more
Photo of the front of Comber House, better known to the locals of Selkirk as Gilbart's Funeral Home found at 309 Eveline. A Larger building with multiple levels and a attached chapel.

Comber House

309 Eveline Street This grand old Queen Anne-style house was built prior to 1890 for Edwin F. Comber, Chief Engineer at the Asylum, financial agent, electrician, inventor, and prominent citizen of Selkirk. It is constructed of brick on a wooden frame with a truncated pyramidal roof. Note the variety of windows: bay, Palladian, and leaded…

Read more
Photo shows the front of Smith House located at 322 Eveline Street. A large white home that sits on the side of the Red River. A large white two story home with many windows in every room allows lots of natural light into the house.

Smith House

322 Eveline Street This house dates back to at least 1890 and is believed that Captain Roderick Smith was the first owner. Smith served as the first mate of the steamer “Northcote” during the Riel Rebellion and was part owner of a grocery store, but was a boat builder by trade. He built many York…

Read more
Photo shows the frontal view of West House found at 323 Eveline Street on a summer day.

West House

323 Eveline Street This Queen Anne-style house was built in 1888 for Captain Charles H. West by Robert Moncrieff and Frank Wright. This is a 1 1⁄2 storey structure with horizontal wood siding on a wood frame and sits on a stone foundation. A bay window protrudes into the open verandah, which is supported by…

Read more
Photo shows a frontal view of 202 Vaughn Avenue. A smaller style home.

202 Vaughn Avenue

202 Vaughn Avenue Many of the homes on Vaughn appear on the first assessment rolls in 1890, indicating that they are perhaps even older than that. Several of these homes were built from a side-hall plan. You will see an especially fine example at 202 and others at 205 and 227. An early duplex can…

Read more
The photo shows a shot of Teeter house found at 218 McLean Avenue. Teeter House was built in the popular bungalow style of its time.

Teeter House

218 McLean Avenue This home was built in 1916 for Rev. Chancellor Teeter, pastor of Wesley Methodist Church. It was designed by his nephew and architect, George Teeter, and has remained in his family to the present. Built in the bungalow style, which was then popular, with wood shingles over horizontal siding, this house included…

Read more
Photo shows the front of Gibbs House with trees in front of the house.

Gibbs House

212 McLean Avenue This house was built in 1921 by Roy Hooker for pharmacist Fred Gibbs. Though its enlaced veranda is characteristic of the Queen Anne style, it is more similar to a Cottage style with its wood frame construction and horizontal wood siding and cedar shingles on the walls. This was also a popular…

Read more
Photo shows the large Selkirk United Church. Photo captures the large entrance way wit ha overhang supported by two large pillars.

Selkirk United Church

202 McLean Avenue The Methodists erected a building on this site in 1895. When the Methodists united with the Congregational and Presbyterian churches in 1925, it was raised on a basement and served until the present sanctuary was built in 1958. An extension was added in 2011 and the old building now serves as a…

Read more
This photo shows off the single level building with a front entrance with two windows on either side.

360 Eveline Street

360 Eveline Street The Winnipeg, Selkirk, and Lake Winnipeg Railway Company was formed by a group of local businessmen in 1901 to provide passenger and freight services for residents. By 1906, the line was electrified, and directorship of the company was turned over to the Winnipeg Electric Company. The line ran along Eveline Street until…

Read more
Photo shows the two level Scott House on a summer day.

Scott House

205 Eaton Avenue This Queen Anne-style house was built in 1898 by Robert Scott, Country Agent and Police Magistrate. A typical side-hall house with a slant roofed kitchen, it boasts a distinctive tower with a pyramidal roof and an enclosed verandah. The Robertson Family owned the house from 1921-1990 when it was sold and became…

Read more
Photo captures the multileveled brick building. Windows cover all sides of the building.

Old Post Office

250 Manitoba Avenue Selkirk’s first post office was opened in 1876 with James Colcleugh as postmaster. Construction of the present building began in 1907 by Brown and Garson Construction Corporation and it was designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of James Chisholm and Son. For many years it housed the federal government offices in addition…

Read more

Manitoba Avenue

Manitoba Avenue As you walk along Manitoba Avenue, look at the tops of the buildings; these squared-off tops, known as “Boom-town” fronts, give the small buildings an impression of size. They also gave the merchant a place to paint a sign. Notice the variation in the tops of numbers 238, and 240. The shape of…

Read more
Picture that captures the front and the sides of the traders bank. The picture allows you to see the buildings three levels along with all the windows along either side of the building.

Trader’s Bank

389 Eveline Street Garson Quarries of Tyndall began work on the foundation of this building in July 1903. J. M. Beattie was in charge of the construction of the building. The first floor was shared by the bank and Moody’s hardware, the second provided space for many of the city’s professional offices, while the third…

Read more
Picture of the front of Stuart House. You can see the porch with surrounded by a railing, the second story window and the trees on the side of the house on a summer day.

Stuart House

478 Eveline Street James Stuart, manager of the Selkirk Electric Light Company, built this house in 1904. The Selkirk Electric Light Company was formed in 1890 and was the first producer of electricity in town.The 2 1⁄2 storey house is of brick masonry with a poured concrete foundation. It is distinguished by decorative brick belts,…

Read more