Picture of the original Selkirk arena

Selkirk Arena

Selkirk’s first indoor arena was established in 1907.  John W. Jones purchased the outdoor rink used by the Selkirk Skating Club on Fox Avenue near Main Street. Over it, he constructed what one account describes as a “concave-shaped, tin-covered monster” and christened it ‘Alexandra’, after his daughter. In its heyday of the 1930s and early…

Outside view of memorial hall.

Memorial Hall

In February 1946, a group of people (representing more than two dozen community organizations) came together under the chairmanship of Louis G. Howard to form the Selkirk and District Memorial Committee. Their objective was to decide on a suitable memorial to the servicemen and women of the region who died in the Boer War, First…

Picture of a people in front of the Garry Theatre. You can observe the featured moving sign overhang above the entrance.

Garry Theatre

Rothstein Theatres Ltd. entered the Selkirk market in 1938 when it took over the Central Theatre on Eveline Street. Nathan Rothstein was well known in theatre circles. In the 1920s, he owned the Arlington Theatre in Winnipeg and a handful of theatres in rural Manitoba. In 1926, he led an investment group that built several…

Photo shows a young child playing in the sand with a bucket at the poolside

Rotary Lake

The Rotary Club of Selkirk has been a driving force in the community since it received its charter in 1937. Its best-known contribution is the Selkirk Park Pool (Rotary Lake) in Selkirk Park. When the club did a door-to-door canvas to raise funds for Memorial Hall in 1946, they also asked residents about other amenities…

Photo shows the front of the Eaton Masonic Hall. The front door overhang supported by two pillars. Two windows on either side of the building

Masonic Lodge

209 Eaton Avenue Lisgar Lodge #2 of the Masons was formed in Selkirk in February 1870 and chartered in July 1871. Meetings were held in various places in the area until this building was built in 1920. The building is brick on a wood frame. Renovated in 2019, the exterior features decorative brick belts and corbelling…

Photo shows the multiple bowling lanes in the Selkirk Bowling Alley.

Bowling in Selkirk

Pin bowling has a long history in the City of Selkirk. The earliest mention found in Selkirk’s online newspaper archives is from 1913; an ad stating that a bowling alley and billiards hall was opened in the Lisgar House hotel by Messrs. Terry and Comber. In October 1929, ads appeared for a new ten-pin bowling…

A banner of a yellow house with red doors and tree in front of it, with blue banner stripes on the sides.

202 Christie Avenue

Prior to 2020 a lonely and seemingly out of place house at 202 Christie Avenue was home to the same family for a century. Frederick (Fred) Charles Barnard was born in England in 1883 and moved to Selkirk around 1908. Annie Harris Wilson was born in Canterbury, England and came to Canada around the same…

Picture of a mural depicting the member of the Dufferin Gang that were in the Air Force

The Dufferin Gang

During the Second World War, men and women from across the globe enlisted in the military together to fight for their countries. At the time, it was common to see friends and family members from the same neighbourhood enlist together. A group of enlistees from Selkirk, Manitoba were a little bit different. Dubbed ‘The Dufferin…