Photo of a streetcar traveling down a street with a gentleman watching it pass by.

Places in Selkirk

Selkirk has a vast amount of places where people have been able to unwind, explore, and enjoy themselves over the years. Explore what Selkirk has to offer such as parks, historical homes, buildings, and the popular pool. Take a tour, stay for a while.

Photo showing the bridge lifted as a boat is approaching in the distance.

The Selkirk Lift Bridge

The municipalities of Selkirk and St. Clements had long sought out to have a permanent link built across the Red River to replace a busy ferry service, but finding the necessary funds proved elusive. That changed in spring of 1934 when the federal government announced a $40 million national infrastructure program meant to provide employment…

Read more
Picture of the original Selkirk water tower from 1913.

Selkirk Water Tower

In September of 1906, Selkirk ratepayers voted in favour of allowing its municipal government to borrow up to $150,000 to install a waterworks and sewer system for the town. The waterworks would distribute a pressurized, filtered water supply to a network of businesses, homes, and fire hydrants. Prior to this, residents relied on their own…

Read more
Picture of the original Selkirk arena

Selkirk Arena

Selkirk’s first indoor arena was established in 1907.  John W. Jones purchased the outdoor rink used by the Selkirk Skating Club on Fox Avenue near Main Street. Over it, he constructed what one account describes as a “concave-shaped, tin-covered monster” and christened it ‘Alexandra’, after his daughter. In its heyday of the 1930s and early…

Read more
Outside view of memorial hall.

Memorial Hall

In February 1946, a group of people (representing more than two dozen community organizations) came together under the chairmanship of Louis G. Howard to form the Selkirk and District Memorial Committee. Their objective was to decide on a suitable memorial to the servicemen and women of the region who died in the Boer War, First…

Read more
Picture of a people in front of the Garry Theatre. You can observe the featured moving sign overhang above the entrance.

Garry Theatre

Rothstein Theatres Ltd. entered the Selkirk market in 1938 when it took over the Central Theatre on Eveline Street. Nathan Rothstein was well known in theatre circles. In the 1920s, he owned the Arlington Theatre in Winnipeg and a handful of theatres in rural Manitoba. In 1926, he led an investment group that built several…

Read more
Photo shows a young child playing in the sand with a bucket at the poolside

Rotary Lake

The Rotary Club of Selkirk has been a driving force in the community since it received its charter in 1937. Its best-known contribution is the Selkirk Park Pool (Rotary Lake) in Selkirk Park. When the club did a door-to-door canvas to raise funds for Memorial Hall in 1946, they also asked residents about other amenities…

Read more
Photo shows the front of the Eaton Masonic Hall. The front door overhang supported by two pillars. Two windows on either side of the building

Masonic Lodge

209 Eaton Avenue Lisgar Lodge #2 of the Masons was formed in Selkirk in February 1870 and chartered in July 1871. Meetings were held in various places in the area until this building was built in 1920. The building is brick on a wood frame. Renovated in 2019, the exterior features decorative brick belts and corbelling…

Read more
Photo shows the multiple bowling lanes in the Selkirk Bowling Alley.

Bowling in Selkirk

Pin bowling has a long history in the City of Selkirk. The earliest mention found in Selkirk’s online newspaper archives is from 1913; an ad stating that a bowling alley and billiards hall was opened in the Lisgar House hotel by Messrs. Terry and Comber. In October 1929, ads appeared for a new ten-pin bowling…

Read more
A banner of a yellow house with red doors and tree in front of it, with blue banner stripes on the sides.

202 Christie Avenue

Prior to 2020 a lonely and seemingly out of place house at 202 Christie Avenue was home to the same family for a century. Frederick (Fred) Charles Barnard was born in England in 1883 and moved to Selkirk around 1908. Annie Harris Wilson was born in Canterbury, England and came to Canada around the same…

Read more
The photo shows the front and the side of the house. A larger home with a a frontal sunroom attached to the porch.

Holloway House

233 Eveline Street Built prior to 1894 for F. E. Holloway who was a local businessman, this 1 1⁄2 storey home is topped by a hipped roof with dormers. The original chimney is on the south side of the building. In 1920, the assessor noted a barn and a henhouse were also present.

Read more
The photo shows the front of Colcleugh House located at 102 Pacific Avenue. The picture sows the front of the house, a two story building wiith two windows on the top floor and one on the bottom beside the front door.

Colcleugh House

102 Pacific Ave Built between 1872 and 1874 for Frederick W. Colcleugh who would become Selkirk’s second mayor (he was also cousin to James Colcleugh who was the first mayor of Selkirk). Frederick W. Colcleugh lived here with his wife Emma Shaw Colcleugh. Emma Colcleugh was born on September 3, 1846, in Thompson, Connecticut. She…

Read more
Photo of the front of Comber House, better known to the locals of Selkirk as Gilbart's Funeral Home found at 309 Eveline. A Larger building with multiple levels and a attached chapel.

Comber House

309 Eveline Street This grand old Queen Anne-style house was built prior to 1890 for Edwin F. Comber, Chief Engineer at the Asylum, financial agent, librarian, electrician, inventor, and prominent citizen of Selkirk. It is constructed of brick on a wooden frame with a truncated pyramidal roof. Note the variety of windows: bay, Palladian, and…

Read more
Photo shows the front of Smith House located at 322 Eveline Street. A large white home that sits on the side of the Red River. A large white two story home with many windows in every room allows lots of natural light into the house.

Smith House

322 Eveline Street This house dates back to at least 1890 and is believed that Captain Roderick Smith was the first owner. Smith served as the first mate of the steamer “Northcote” during the Riel Rebellion and was part owner of a grocery store, but was a boat builder by trade. He built many York…

Read more
Photo shows the frontal view of West House found at 323 Eveline Street on a summer day.

West House

323 Eveline Street This Queen Anne-style house was built in 1888 for Captain Charles H. West by Robert Moncrieff and Frank Wright. This is a 1 1⁄2 storey structure with horizontal wood siding on a wood frame and sits on a stone foundation. A bay window protrudes into the open verandah, which is supported by…

Read more
Photo shows a frontal view of 202 Vaughn Avenue. A smaller style home.

202 Vaughan Avenue

202 Vaughan Avenue Many of the homes on Vaughn appear on the first assessment rolls in 1890, indicating that they are perhaps even older than that. Several of these homes were built from a side-hall plan. You will see an especially fine example at 202 and others at 205 and 227. An early duplex can…

Read more
The photo shows a shot of Teeter house found at 218 McLean Avenue. Teeter House was built in the popular bungalow style of its time.

Teeter House

218 McLean Avenue This home was built in 1916 for Rev. Chancellor Teeter, pastor of Wesley Methodist Church. It was designed by his nephew and architect, George Teeter, and has remained in his family to the present. Built in the bungalow style, which was then popular, with wood shingles over horizontal siding, this house included…

Read more
Photo shows the front of Gibbs House with trees in front of the house.

Gibbs House

212 McLean Avenue This house was built in 1921 by Roy Hooker for pharmacist Fred Gibbs. Though its enlaced veranda is characteristic of the Queen Anne style, it is more similar to a Cottage style with its wood frame construction and horizontal wood siding and cedar shingles on the walls. This was also a popular…

Read more
Photo shows the large Selkirk United Church. Photo captures the large entrance way wit ha overhang supported by two large pillars

Selkirk United Church

202 McLean Avenue The Methodists erected a building on this site in 1895. When the Methodists united with the Congregational and Presbyterian churches in 1925, it was raised on a basement and served until the present sanctuary was built in 1958. An extension was added in 2011 and the old building now serves as a…

Read more
This photo shows off the single level building with a front entrance with two windows on either side

360 Eveline Street

360 Eveline Street The Winnipeg, Selkirk, and Lake Winnipeg Railway Company was formed by a group of local businessmen in 1901 to provide passenger and freight services for residents. By 1906, the line was electrified, and directorship of the company was turned over to the Winnipeg Electric Company. The line ran along Eveline Street until…

Read more
Photo shows the two level Scott House on a summer day

Scott House

205 Eaton Avenue This Queen Anne-style house was built in 1898 by Robert Scott, Country Agent and Police Magistrate. A typical side-hall house with a slant roofed kitchen, it boasts a distinctive tower with a pyramidal roof and an enclosed verandah. The Robertson Family owned the house from 1921-1990 when it was sold and became…

Read more
Photo showing the post office in the 1930s.

Old Post Office

250 Manitoba Avenue Selkirk’s first post office was opened in 1876 with James Colcleugh as postmaster. Construction of the present building began in 1907 by Brown and Garson Construction Corporation and it was designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of James Chisholm and Son. For many years it housed the federal government offices in addition…

Read more
Picture that captures the front and the sides of the traders bank. The picture allows you to see the buildings three levels along with all the windows along either side of the building.

Trader’s Bank

389 Eveline Street Garson Quarries of Tyndall began work on the foundation of this building in July 1903. J. M. Beattie was in charge of the construction of the building. The first floor was shared by the bank and Moody’s hardware, the second provided space for many of the city’s professional offices, while the third…

Read more
Picture of the front of Stuart House. You can see the porch with surrounded by a railing, the second story window and the trees on the side of the house on a summer day.

Stuart House

478 Eveline Street James Stuart, manager of the Selkirk Electric Light Company, built this house in 1904. The Selkirk Electric Light Company was formed in 1890 and was the first producer of electricity in town.The 2 1⁄2 storey house is of brick masonry with a poured concrete foundation. It is distinguished by decorative brick belts,…

Read more
Path that one can walk on through Little Lake park.

Little Lake

East End of Dorchester Avenue Little Lake Park was officially opened in 1991, but its roots date back to a much earlier greenspace called Daerwood Park. Located near the southern boundary of the former St. Peter’s Reserve, this land was going to be the site of a summer cottage subdivision, planned in the early 1900s…

Read more
Playground at Murray-Sinclair park.

Murray Sinclair Park

301 Queen Avenue Murray Sinclair Park was one of a pair of playgrounds built by the Kinsmen Club of Selkirk in the mid-1950s. It was part of a national Kinsmen program to provide improved play opportunities for the new wave of children born immediately after the war. Kinsmen South Playground on Main Street at Dorchester…

Read more
The Selkirk Park banner showing people on the shoreline of Selkirk Park watching boats pass by on the water

Selkirk Park

486 Eveline StOn the morning of July 1, 1905, 1,200 members of the International Order of Oddfellows left Winnipeg for Selkirk aboard steam trains operated by the Winnipeg Selkirk and Lake Winnipeg Railway (WS & LW). They were greeted by Selkirk’s Oddfellows before walking a couple of kilometres to what was formerly Red River Park…

Read more
The 108th Batallion lined up outside of Red Feather Farm.

Red Feather Farm

163 Edstan Place As its name suggests, this park was once part of a 37-acre farm with a storied history created by A. A. Gilroy. Gilroy came to Manitoba from Ontario in 1905 as a senior executive with the T. Eaton Company. At the time he started the farm, he was also president of the…

Read more
Image of original war memorial honouring past and present veterans.

Veterans Memorial Gardens

314 Eveline Street at Britannia The site of Veterans Memorial Gardens played an important role in the community long before the erection of the war memorial in 1927. This site was home to Manitoba’s first national fish hatchery, which was built in 1892 by the federal government. It was described in the department of fisheries’…

Read more
Open view of Penwarden Park. Playground and trees in sight.

Penwarden Park

600 block of Moody Avenue Penwarden Park was created in 1966 as the development of the residential neighbourhood around it was set to begin. The earliest newspaper mention of Penwarden Park comes from the January 22, 1968 city council meeting: “Councillor Taylor suggested there should be an official opening of the Wm. Penwarden Park.”. It…

Read more
Queens Park sign in front of Selkirk's iconic blue bridge.

Queen’s Park

304 Eveline Street The site that is now home to Queens Park was vacant since the construction of the Selkirk Lift Bridge in 1935, and perhaps even longer as before the bridge, this junction was a busy ferry crossing. In May 1951, the local Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) lodge leased this land from…

Read more
This is a picture of Queen Victoria. She is wearing a gold gown and a red and silver crown. She is pale with brown hair that is short.

Queen Avenue

Queen Avenue honours Queen Victoria who ruled the Great Britain from 1837 to 1901. Victoria became queen of England when she was just 18 years old.  By the time she died, 64 years later, she was Empress of India and ruler of the largest empire in the world. Her reign was the longest of any…

Read more
Picture of a busy Robinson Avenue from the 1990s. The road is occupied by a truck moving materials, people walking and biking.

Robinson Avenue

Robinson Avenue is named for Captain William Robinson, a man of many talents who grew rich in shipping, timber and fishing. Robinson’s fleet of fishing boats and tugs, fishing and timber camps provided 1000 jobs to the people of the region every year. His enterprises provided timber and fish for processing in Selkirk’s first factories…

Read more
This is a black and white photo of Lady Dufferin. She has her hair done up and is wearing a fancy button up dress, coat, and bow.

Dufferin Avenue

This street honours Lord Dufferin, Canada’s third Governor-General. It is on the Selkirk Town Plan of 1875. On August 17, 1877, Lord and Countess of Dufferin actually visited the town! The Governor-General and his wife were the highest ranking persons ever to visit the fledgling community. Their visit convinced her citizens that Selkirk was fated…

Read more
Headshot of Alexander Morris

Morris Avenue

Morris Avenue is named for Manitoba’s second Lieutenant-Governor, Alexander Morris. Morris was given a street name on the earliest plan of the town. Why? Because Morris changed the development pattern of Selkirk … and all of Western Canada. He also made it possible for hundreds of newcomers from Ontario to become wealthy in the west.…

Read more
Photo of the lumber yard that used to be on Superior Avenue in the 1900s.

Superior Avenue

Superior Avenue points eastward to Lake Superior from where the rail line from Eastern Canada was inching its way west in 1875. The next step would be the building of the rail bridge across the Red River!  Selkirk would become “the new Chicago”- the transportation hub of Western Canada (see map of proposed railway 1882).…

Read more
This is a black and white photo of a street with tall building on either side.

Manitoba Avenue

Manitoba was Canada’s fifth province and its first expansion into the west. Selkirk was one of the first new towns in this new province. With the prospects of becoming the transportation hub for western Canada, Selkirk was a town with unlimited potential. A street named “Manitoba” captured the feelings of enthusiasm and optimism about the…

Read more
Headshots of James Colcleugh, Lord and Lady Dufferin.

Clandeboye Avenue

The Governor General and his family lived on an estate in Ireland called Clandeboye. When Lord and Lady Dufferin visited Selkirk in 1877, as Queen Victoria’s representative, it was a momentous event! Naming a street after the noble visitors’ home showed the loyalty of the townspeople. It also might have created an address that drew…

Read more
This is a black and white photo of Devonshire School in 1919. it is a tall two story building with windows along each floor. in front of it is an empty field, and there are buildings to its left.

Eaton Avenue

Eaton Avenue was named for William Herbison (W.H.) Eaton, a member of Timothy Eaton’s merchandising-empire family. W.H. Eaton and two of Timothy Eaton’s sons came to Selkirk in the late 1870’s and set up businesses.  The boys ran a livery stable and made money renting wagons, carriages and teams of horses to construction crews and…

Read more
Photo of Knox Presbyterian Church. Made with bricks and high peaking A-Frame roofs.

McLean Avenue

The name of this avenue recognizes the family of D.W. McLean. The family farmhouse stood on the NW corner where Knox Church was built in 1904. Sometimes naming a street in honour of a landowner helped persuade him to sell when the town fathers wanted the land. “Church Street” One of the architectural treasures of…

Read more
Side profile headshot of L.S. Vaughan

Vaughan Avenue

Vaughan Avenue commemorates the long service and guidance to the community by two remarkable surveyors, father Amos Vaughan and son Lynds Smith Vaughan. Amos did the first surveys of the town and even labelled the streets on the first town plan.  He and his son L.S. alternated as town surveyors and councilors for more than…

Read more
People walking down Britannia Avenue in black and white.

Britannia Avenue

Britannia Avenue is a tribute to the connection that Selkirk residents felt toward the British monarchy. The avenue was likely named at the start of World War I when British patriotism was at its peak in the town.  British jingoism was at its height between the Boer War and the beginning of WWI.  Songs such…

Read more
A headshot of Thomas Lafayette Rosser

Rosser Avenue

Rosser Avenue recognizes former Confederate General, Thomas Lafayette Rosser. In 1881, as chief engineer of the CPR, he granted Selkirk’s fondest wish. For a price, he gave Selkirk a rail line, though such branches were against CPR policy. Many thousands of extra dollars changed hands before track was laid. Within a year, Rosser was fired…

Read more
This is a black and white photo of Eveline street with tall buildings on either side from the early 1900s.

Eveline Street

The name Eveline was given to the muddy trail behind the busy waterfront in 1875.  Eveline was most likely the wife of inn-keeper and entrepreneur, John Greig. Before the creation of Selkirk, the “inner trail”, as it had been known for 50 years, led along the river bank to Lower Fort Garry. The fur trade…

Read more
Headshot of John Christian Schultz

Schultz Ave

Dr. John Christian Schultz had come to prominence by leading the “Canadian faction” opposing Louis Riel’s efforts to make Manitoba a province.  He invested in Selkirk and came to own the land that became Clandeboye, Manitoba and Superior Avenues.  He built the first Merchants Hotel in 1877. A Real Scallywag After Louis Riel had negotiated…

Read more
Picture of James Colcleugh

Colcleugh Ave

Colcleugh Avenue is named for Selkirk’s first Mayor and founder, James Colcleugh. As a contractor on the telegraph line between Rat Portage and Manitoba, Colcleugh reached a spot tentatively called “Selkirk” which was to be “the crossing” of the Red River.  The location was just a mark on a railway map – not even a…

Read more