The Beginning 1882-1883

1882

 

This is a photo of J. Colcleugh in a black dress coat wearing a white button up shirt and a tie. He has groomed hair and a small moustache.

The Town of Selkirk was incorporated under the provincial Municipal Act.   James Colcleugh served as the first mayor.

1882

D.F. Reid and Dave Clark started the first Selkirk based commercial fishing operation.

1882

With the assistance of Booth Fisheries, Charles Gauthier established the Dominion Fish Company which constructed ice houses and freezers.

1882

Selkirk’s Library and Debating Society was formed.

1883

This is a black and white photo of a large ship unloading lumber at the Selkirk docks in 1910. There are men unloading the lumber off the boat into piles on the dock.

Selkirk was the centre of the Lake Winnipeg lumber trade and had a railway link to Winnipeg.

1883

This is a black and white photo from 1898 of a man and woman sitting on the ground having a picnic with another woman at Selkirk. The women are both wearing long skirts and hats. The man is wearing a black coat with a white button up shirt, tie and hat. 

The local Board of Trade convinced Town Council to establish “River Park” for out of town day visitors to picnic.

1883

This is a black and white photo of Thomas Lafayette Rosser wearing a white button up shirt. He has a long moustache, short white hair.

Thanks to Thomas Lafayette Rosser, chief engineer of the Canada Pacific Railway a branch line to Selkirk was built.

1883

A sawmill was built in the West Slough assisting with the boat building “boom”.

1883

Businesses during this time were:  5 general stores, 2 butcher shops, 1 bakery, 1 drugstore, a blacksmith, 2 flour and feed stores, a livery stable, 2 stationery and bookstores, and the printing office of the “Selkirk Herald”.