The Beginning 1882-1883 Head of Inland Navigation 1884-1910 A New Industrial Era 1884-1910 Bitter Lessons 1929-1946 The Modern Town 1947-1979 Recent Years 1980-Present Selkirk Timeline
Bitter Lessons 1929-1946
The Mitchel Grain Company opened a new grain elevator.
The stock market crashed, and the Great Depression began.
Selkirk’s first motorized fire engines appeared – with the arrival of two 1929 Chevy trucks – one being a hose truck and the other a pumper. They were nicknamed “Maggie” and “Jiggs” after two comic strip characters. “Maggie” has been restored and is displayed at our museum as well as participating in festivals, fairs and parades throughout the province.
The provincial government designated Main Street as part of a provincial highway. (Now PTH 9)
A group of golfers arranged with the town council to lease of 50 acres in Daerwood Park for a new course.
The Selkirk Navigation Co. Ltd took over the Keenora and rebuilt it.
The town built a first-class bathing beach completed with a bathing tower and change houses in Selkirk Park.
4,486 people resided in Selkirk.
An aerial display sponsored by the Selkirk Hockey Club attracts 500 people to Hagaard’s field.
Formation of the Selkirk Ladies Auxiliary.
First annual meeting of the Selkirk Branch of the Army Navy Veterans.
The long-awaited highway bridge project started construction.
J. Maurice Gilbart founded Gilbart’s of Selkirk (Now Gilbart Funeral Home).
The Dance Pavilion and refreshment stand at Selkirk Park was destroyed by fire.
Main Street was hard-surfaced from the town’s southern limit to the corner of Manitoba Avenue.