The Selkirk Library

Beginnings A citizens group called the Selkirk Literary Association was established around 1879, primarily to bring speakers to the town and to host debates. One topic in August 1879 was ‘…be it resolved that Canada is a better field for immigrants than the United States.’.  The society is mentioned sporadically through the 1880s, which suggests…

Masonic Lodge

Former Masonic Lodge – 209 Eaton Avenue The Lisgar Masonic Lodge is the second oldest Masonic lodge in Manitoba. It received its dispensation from the Grand Lodge of Canada on January 4, 1871, and its charter was issued on July 13, 1871. When the Manitoba Grand Lodge was established in 1875, Selkirk’s lodge became known…

This is a banner of the top of the old Selkirk water tower, with blue banner ribbons along the sides.

Selkirk Water Tower

In September of 1906, Selkirk ratepayers voted in favour of allowing its municipal government to borrow up to $150,000 to install a waterworks and sewer system for the town. The waterworks would distribute a pressurized, filtered water supply to a network of businesses, homes, and fire hydrants. Prior to this, residents relied on their own…

Selkirk Arena

The Alexandra Rink Selkirk’s first indoor arena was established in 1907.  John W. Jones purchased the outdoor rink used by the Selkirk Skating Club on Fox Avenue near Main Street. Over it, he constructed what one account describes as a “concave-shaped, tin-covered monster” and christened it ‘Alexandra’, after his daughter. In its heyday of the…

Little Lake

Little Lake Park East end of Dorchester Avenue, R1A 02K Size: 44 acres (approx.) Little Lake Park was officially opened in 1991, but its roots date back to a much earlier greenspace called Daerwood Park. The first mention of Daerwood Park comes in the recollections of Mabel Vogen of the Selkirk Enterprise. In a 1954…

Murray Sinclair Park

Murray Sinclair Park 301 Queen Ave Murray Sinclair Park was one of a pair of playgrounds built by the Kinsmen Club of Selkirk in the mid-1950s. It was part of a national Kinsmen program to provide improved play opportunities for the new wave of children born immediately after the war. Kinsmen South Playground on Main…

Selkirk Park

Selkirk Park486 Eveline St 100 acres (approx) Beginnings 1905-1911 On the morning of July 1, 1905, 1,200 members of the International Order of Oddfellows left Winnipeg for Selkirk aboard steam trains operated by the Winnipeg Selkirk and Lake Winnipeg Railway (WS & LW). They were greeted by Selkirk’s Oddfellows before walking a couple of kilometres…

Red Feather Farm

Red Feather Farm Memorial Park 163 Edstan Place As its name suggests, this park was once part of a 37-acre farm with a storied history created by A. A. Gilroy. Gilroy came to Manitoba from Ontario in 1905 as a senior executive with the T. Eaton Company. At the time he started the farm, he…