This is a black and white photo of a street with tall building on either side.

Manitoba Avenue

Manitoba was Canada’s fifth province and its first expansion into the west. Selkirk was one of the first new towns in this new province. With the prospects of becoming the transportation hub for western Canada, Selkirk was a town with unlimited potential. A street named “Manitoba” captured the feelings of enthusiasm and optimism about the…

Headshots of James Colcleugh, Lord and Lady Dufferin.

Clandeboye Avenue

The Governor General and his family lived on an estate in Ireland called Clandeboye. When Lord and Lady Dufferin visited Selkirk in 1877, as Queen Victoria’s representative, it was a momentous event! Naming a street after the noble visitors’ home showed the loyalty of the townspeople. It also might have created an address that drew…

This is a black and white photo of Devonshire School in 1919. it is a tall two story building with windows along each floor. in front of it is an empty field, and there are buildings to its left.

Eaton Avenue

Eaton Avenue was named for William Herbison (W.H.) Eaton, a member of Timothy Eaton’s merchandising-empire family. W.H. Eaton and two of Timothy Eaton’s sons came to Selkirk in the late 1870’s and set up businesses.  The boys ran a livery stable and made money renting wagons, carriages and teams of horses to construction crews and…

Photo of Knox Presbyterian Church. Made with bricks and high peaking A-Frame roofs.

McLean Avenue

The name of this avenue recognizes the family of D.W. McLean. The family farmhouse stood on the NW corner where Knox Church was built in 1904. Sometimes naming a street in honour of a landowner helped persuade him to sell when the town fathers wanted the land. “Church Street” One of the architectural treasures of…

Side profile headshot of L.S. Vaughan

Vaughan Avenue

Vaughan Avenue commemorates the long service and guidance to the community by two remarkable surveyors, father Amos Vaughan and son Lynds Smith Vaughan. Amos did the first surveys of the town and even labelled the streets on the first town plan.  He and his son L.S. alternated as town surveyors and councilors for more than…

People walking down Britannia Avenue in black and white.

Britannia Avenue

Britannia Avenue is a tribute to the connection that Selkirk residents felt toward the British monarchy. The avenue was likely named at the start of World War I when British patriotism was at its peak in the town.  British jingoism was at its height between the Boer War and the beginning of WWI.  Songs such…

This is a black and white photo of Eveline street with tall buildings on either side from the early 1900s.

Eveline Street

The name Eveline was given to the muddy trail behind the busy waterfront in 1875.  Eveline was most likely the wife of inn-keeper and entrepreneur, John Greig. Before the creation of Selkirk, the “inner trail”, as it had been known for 50 years, led along the river bank to Lower Fort Garry. The fur trade…

Headshot of John Christian Schultz

Schultz Ave

John Christian Schultz had come to prominence by leading the “Canadian faction” opposing the Legislative Assembly of Assiniboia Led by Louis Riel. He invested in Selkirk and came to own the land that became Clandeboye, Manitoba and Superior Avenues. He built the first Merchants Hotel in 1877. John Christian Schultz  A Real Scallywag After Louis Riel…

Picture of James Colcleugh

Colcleugh Ave

Colcleugh Avenue is named for Selkirk’s first Mayor and founder, James Colcleugh. As a contractor on the telegraph line between Rat Portage and Manitoba, Colcleugh reached a spot tentatively called “Selkirk” which was to be “the crossing” of the Red River.  The location was just a mark on a railway map – not even a…