Photo shows the front of Gibbs House with trees in front of the house.

Gibbs House

212 McLean Avenue This house was built in 1921 by Roy Hooker for pharmacist Fred Gibbs. Though its enlaced veranda is characteristic of the Queen Anne style, it is more similar to a Cottage style with its wood frame construction and horizontal wood siding and cedar shingles on the walls. This was also a popular…

Photo shows the large Selkirk United Church. Photo captures the large entrance way wit ha overhang supported by two large pillars

Selkirk United Church

202 McLean Avenue The Methodists erected a building on this site in 1895. When the Methodists united with the Congregational and Presbyterian churches in 1925, it was raised on a basement and served until the present sanctuary was built in 1958. An extension was added in 2011 and the old building now serves as a…

Photo of Knox Presbyterian Church. Made with bricks and high peaking A-Frame roofs.

Knox Presbyterian Church

341 Eveline Street The Presbyterians built a 36’ x 38’ church on this site in 1880 and a manse on the west side of the property in 1896. In 1903 provincial architect, Samuel Hooper drew up plans for a new church building. Construction began in 1904 and the church was in use by the end…

This photo shows off the single level building with a front entrance with two windows on either side

360 Eveline Street

360 Eveline Street The Winnipeg, Selkirk, and Lake Winnipeg Railway Company was formed by a group of local businessmen in 1901 to provide passenger and freight services for residents. By 1906, the line was electrified, and directorship of the company was turned over to the Winnipeg Electric Company. The line ran along Eveline Street until…

Photo shows the two level Scott House on a summer day

Scott House

205 Eaton Avenue This Queen Anne-style house was built in 1898 by Robert Scott, Country Agent and Police Magistrate. A typical side-hall house with a slant roofed kitchen, it boasts a distinctive tower with a pyramidal roof and an enclosed verandah. The Robertson Family owned the house from 1921-1990 when it was sold and became…

Photo showing the post office in the 1930s.

Old Post Office

250 Manitoba Avenue Selkirk’s first post office was opened in 1876 with James Colcleugh as postmaster. Construction of the present building began in 1907 by Brown and Garson Construction Corporation and it was designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of James Chisholm and Son. For many years it housed the federal government offices in addition…

Photo that captures the front and sides of the Merchant's Hotel. This photo shows the buildings multiple levels.

The Merchant’s Hotel

383 Eveline Street The first Merchant’s Hotel on this property was built in 1887 by John Christian Shultz. The original building was moved back in 1903 to make room for this one. In addition to serving as a hotel, this building has provided space for the Bank of Montreal, a barbershop, and a pool room.…

Picture that captures the front and the sides of the traders bank. The picture allows you to see the buildings three levels along with all the windows along either side of the building.

Trader’s Bank

389 Eveline Street Garson Quarries of Tyndall began work on the foundation of this building in July 1903. J. M. Beattie was in charge of the construction of the building. The first floor was shared by the bank and Moody’s hardware, the second provided space for many of the city’s professional offices, while the third…

Picture of the front of Stuart House. You can see the porch with surrounded by a railing, the second story window and the trees on the side of the house on a summer day.

Stuart House

478 Eveline Street James Stuart, manager of the Selkirk Electric Light Company, built this house in 1904. The Selkirk Electric Light Company was formed in 1890 and was the first producer of electricity in town.The 2 1⁄2 storey house is of brick masonry with a poured concrete foundation. It is distinguished by decorative brick belts,…

A side profile picture of the Selkirk Transit bus.

Selkirk Transit

The suggestion to have a transit service was first introduced in 2004 by Bill Chartier. Chartier was the owner of Will’s Taxi and had noticed the fees that taxis changed were too steep for low-income families and seniors.  The desire to have affordable and accessible transportation led him to connect with Councillor Duane Nicol.  Councillor…