Photo shows the front of the Eaton Masonic Hall. The front door overhang supported by two pillars. Two windows on either side of the building

Masonic Lodge

209 Eaton Avenue Lisgar Lodge #2 of the Masons was formed in Selkirk in February 1870 and chartered in July 1871. Meetings were held in various places in the area until this building was built in 1920. The building is brick on a wood frame. Renovated in 2019, the exterior features decorative brick belts and corbelling…

A banner of a yellow house with red doors and tree in front of it, with blue banner stripes on the sides.

202 Christie Avenue

Prior to 2020 a lonely and seemingly out of place house at 202 Christie Avenue was home to the same family for a century. Frederick (Fred) Charles Barnard was born in England in 1883 and moved to Selkirk around 1908. Annie Harris Wilson was born in Canterbury, England and came to Canada around the same…

Photo of 213 Dorchester Avenue. The photo shows the two level home with a large front porch that doubles as a sunroom. The second floor has depicts two windows on the two visible sides of the hosue.

213 Dorchester Avenue

213 Dorchester Avenue A variety of early house designs can be seen in one block on this street. Compare the large square plan house at 213 with the fine examples of bungalows at 210, 211, 212 and the smaller houses on the north side. 213 Dorchester was constructed in 1915 for a successful local butcher…

Photo shows the front of Smith House located at 322 Eveline Street. A large white home that sits on the side of the Red River. A large white two story home with many windows in every room allows lots of natural light into the house.

Smith House

322 Eveline Street This house dates back to at least 1890 and is believed that Captain Roderick Smith was the first owner. Smith served as the first mate of the steamer “Northcote” during the Riel Rebellion and was part owner of a grocery store, but was a boat builder by trade. He built many York…

Photo shows the frontal view of West House found at 323 Eveline Street on a summer day.

West House

323 Eveline Street This Queen Anne-style house was built in 1888 for Captain Charles H. West by Robert Moncrieff and Frank Wright. This is a 1 1⁄2 storey structure with horizontal wood siding on a wood frame and sits on a stone foundation. A bay window protrudes into the open verandah, which is supported by…

Photo shows a frontal view of 202 Vaughn Avenue. A smaller style home.

202 Vaughn Avenue

202 Vaughn Avenue Many of the homes on Vaughn appear on the first assessment rolls in 1890, indicating that they are perhaps even older than that. Several of these homes were built from a side-hall plan. You will see an especially fine example at 202 and others at 205 and 227. An early duplex can…

The photo shows a shot of Teeter house found at 218 McLean Avenue. Teeter House was built in the popular bungalow style of its time.

Teeter House

218 McLean Avenue This home was built in 1916 for Rev. Chancellor Teeter, pastor of Wesley Methodist Church. It was designed by his nephew and architect, George Teeter, and has remained in his family to the present. Built in the bungalow style, which was then popular, with wood shingles over horizontal siding, this house included…

Photo shows the front of Gibbs House with trees in front of the house.

Gibbs House

212 McLean Avenue This house was built in 1921 by Roy Hooker for pharmacist Fred Gibbs. Though its enlaced veranda is characteristic of the Queen Anne style, it is more similar to a Cottage style with its wood frame construction and horizontal wood siding and cedar shingles on the walls. This was also a popular…