Photo shows the large Selkirk United Church. Photo captures the large entrance way wit ha overhang supported by two large pillars

Selkirk United Church

Humble Beginnings Selkirk has a woman at a Methodist Church conference in 1877 to thank for bringing Methodism to town. While we don’t know her name, she encouraged the raising of $1000 for the establishment of a church in Selkirk and motivated the spread of Methodism across Canada. The response was immediate and a building…

Photo of Knox Presbyterian Church. Made with bricks and high peaking A-Frame roofs.

Knox Presbyterian Church

The Early Days The history of Knox Presbyterian Church begins as a house service, as was common in other communities at the time. Mr. R. Sanderson hosted the first service in his home in 1876 which included 5 other men. The service was held by Rev. Alex Matheson who travelled on horseback from Little Britain.…

This photo shows off the single level building with a front entrance with two windows on either side

360 Eveline Street

360 Eveline Street The Winnipeg, Selkirk, and Lake Winnipeg Railway Company was formed by a group of local businessmen in 1901 to provide passenger and freight services for residents. By 1906, the line was electrified, and directorship of the company was turned over to the Winnipeg Electric Company. The line ran along Eveline Street until…

Photo showing the post office in the 1930s.

Old Post Office

250 Manitoba Avenue Selkirk’s first post office was opened in 1876 with James Colcleugh as postmaster. Construction of the present building began in 1907 by Brown and Garson Construction Corporation and it was designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of James Chisholm and Son. For many years it housed the federal government offices in addition…

Photo that captures the front and sides of the Merchant's Hotel. This photo shows the buildings multiple levels.

The Merchant’s Hotel

383 Eveline Street The first Merchant’s Hotel on this property was built in 1887 by John Christian Schultz. The original building was moved back in 1903 to make room for this one. In addition to serving as a hotel, this building has provided space for the Bank of Montreal, a barbershop, and a pool room.…

Trader’s Bank

389 Eveline Street Garson Quarries of Tyndall began work on the foundation of this building in July 1903. J. M. Beattie was in charge of the construction of the building. The first floor was shared by the bank and Moody’s hardware, the second provided space for many of the city’s professional offices, while the third…

The 108th Batallion lined up outside of Red Feather Farm.

Red Feather Farm

163 Edstan Place As its name suggests, this park was once part of a 37-acre farm with a storied history created by A. A. Gilroy. Gilroy came to Manitoba from Ontario in 1905 as a senior executive with the T. Eaton Company. At the time he started the farm, he was also president of the…