Photo shows the front of the Eaton Masonic Hall. The front door overhang supported by two pillars. Two windows on either side of the building

Masonic Lodge

209 Eaton Avenue The Lisgar Masonic Lodge is the second oldest Masonic lodge in Manitoba. It received its dispensation from the Grand Lodge of Canada on January 4, 1871, and its charter was issued on July 13, 1871. When the Manitoba Grand Lodge was established in 1875, Selkirk’s lodge became known as Ligar Lodge No.…

Photo of 213 Dorchester Avenue. The photo shows the two level home with a large front porch that doubles as a sunroom. The second floor has depicts two windows on the two visible sides of the hosue.

Benson House

213 Dorchester Avenue A variety of early house designs can be seen in one block on this street. Compare the large square plan house at 213 with the fine examples of bungalows at 210, 211, 212 and the smaller houses on the north side. 213 Dorchester was constructed in 1915 for a successful local butcher…

The photo shows the front and the side of the house. A larger home with a a frontal sunroom attached to the porch.

Holloway House

233 Eveline Street Built prior to 1894 for F. E. Holloway who was a local businessman, this 1 1⁄2 storey home is topped by a hipped roof with dormers. The original chimney is on the south side of the building. In 1920, the assessor noted a barn and a henhouse were also present.

The photo shows the front of Colcleugh House located at 102 Pacific Avenue. The picture sows the front of the house, a two story building wiith two windows on the top floor and one on the bottom beside the front door.

Colcleugh House

102 Pacific Ave Built between 1872 and 1874 for Frederick W. Colcleugh who would become Selkirk’s second mayor (he was also cousin to James Colcleugh who was the first mayor of Selkirk). Frederick W. Colcleugh lived here with his wife Emma Shaw Colcleugh. Emma Colcleugh was born on September 3, 1846, in Thompson, Connecticut. She…

Photo of the front of Comber House, better known to the locals of Selkirk as Gilbart's Funeral Home found at 309 Eveline. A Larger building with multiple levels and a attached chapel.

Comber House

309 Eveline Street This grand old Queen Anne-style house was built prior to 1890 for Edwin F. Comber, Chief Engineer at the Asylum, financial agent, librarian, electrician, inventor, and prominent citizen of Selkirk. It is constructed of brick on a wooden frame with a truncated pyramidal roof. Note the variety of windows: bay, Palladian, and…

Photo shows the front of Smith House located at 322 Eveline Street. A large white home that sits on the side of the Red River. A large white two story home with many windows in every room allows lots of natural light into the house.

Smith House

322 Eveline Street This house dates back to at least 1890 and is believed that Captain Roderick Smith was the first owner. Smith served as the first mate of the steamer “Northcote” during the Riel Resistance and was part owner of a grocery store, but was a boat builder by trade. He built many York…

Photo shows the frontal view of West House found at 323 Eveline Street on a summer day.

West House

323 Eveline Street This Queen Anne-style house was built in 1888 for Captain Charles H. West by Robert Moncrieff and Frank Wright. This is a 1 1⁄2 storey structure with horizontal wood siding on a wood frame and sits on a stone foundation. A bay window protrudes into the open verandah, which is supported by…

Photo shows a frontal view of 202 Vaughn Avenue. A smaller style home.

202 Vaughan Avenue

202 Vaughan Avenue Many of the homes on Vaughan appear on the first assessment rolls in 1890, indicating that they are perhaps even older than that. Several of these homes were built from a side-hall plan. You will see an especially fine example at 202 and others at 205 and 227. An early duplex can…

The photo shows a shot of Teeter house found at 218 McLean Avenue. Teeter House was built in the popular bungalow style of its time.

Teeter House

218 McLean Avenue This home was built in 1916 for Rev. Chancellor Teeter, pastor of Wesley Methodist Church. It was designed by his nephew and architect, George Teeter. Built in the bungalow style, which was then popular, with wood shingles over horizontal siding, this house included all of the conveniences available at the time. The…