250 Manitoba Avenue
Selkirk’s first post office was opened in 1876 with James Colcleugh as postmaster. Construction of the present building began in 1907 by Brown and Garson Construction Corporation and it was designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of James Chisholm and Son. For many years it housed the federal government offices in addition to the Post Office and Customs Office.
The building is of solid brick construction with finished limestone above grade on the outside. Make sure to take notice of the detailed brickwork. The interior is of post and beam construction with some of the original woodwork still visible.
Today it houses the Selkirk Community Art Centre and Gwen Fox Art Gallery, featuring local artists and a gift shop with local crafts.
A Walkers Guide to The Historic Buildings of Selkirk, 1996