Head of Inland Navigation 1884 – 1910

1884

This is a black in white photo of a large steam boat in 1884. There is different cargo on board, along with a handful of crew members.

The flat-bottomed steamboat “Marquette” and a passenger train brought Victoria Day picnickers from Winnipeg to Selkirk park.

1885

R. H. Gilhuly bought out his drugstore partner from 1880, Mayor James Colcleugh.  The latter established the community’s first small telephone exchange.

1886

This is a black and white photo of Frederick William Colcleugh, he has a long bushy beard and moustache. He is wearing a collared jacket with a white button up shirt and a tie.

F.W. Colcleugh, cousin and rival of James Colcleugh became Selkirk’s second mayor in 1886.

1886

Twelve million board feet of lumber was brought to or through Selkirk.  The Burrows owned sawmill was the largest operating in Manitoba.

1886

This is a black and white photo of the Selkirk Mental Hospital in 1887. It is a tall building with multiple floors and windows. There are men sitting on the front steps. The building is surrounded by empty fields.

The Manitoba Asylum opened (later known as the Selkirk Mental Health Centre).  59 patients were transferred to the facility.

1887

This is a black and white photo of CPT William Robinson. He has a small bushy beard and moustache and is wearing a black coat with a white button up shirt and tie.

The Dominion Fish Company was created by Captain William Robinson.

1887

The parish of Christ Church erected a building to replace the log chapel schoolhouse which had served their needs for 20 years.

1887

The West Slough was being dredged to 12 feet deep and 50 feet wide for 2.5 miles to allow steamboats better access to the industries.

1887

The Selkirk Literacy Association was organized.

1887

The original Merchant’s Hotel is built by John Christian Shultz.

1889

The Selkirk Lutheran Church is created by Icelandic settlers.

1890

In 1890, William Gibb and three fellow Liberals organize the Selkirk Electric Company, which at first was just four clusters of streetlights.

1890

Selkirk Gospel Chapel was created.  The first service was held in a harness shop owned by one of the members.

1892

The Dominion Fish Company had three tugs, a refrigerator barge, several sailing vessels, and 75 men, with Captain Attwood in charge.

1892

The Manitoba Fish Company had five steamers, 15 fishing shacks, and 90 men.

1893

The federal government constructed its first fish hatchery (for whitefish).

1894

The Ewing and Taylor fish company started.

1894

Massive fire at Robinson’s fish freezer, unfortunately there was no fire department.  Town Council then decided to purchase a fire engine and form a hook and ladder company.

1895

The Bell Telephone Company exchange was completed.

1898

F. W. Colcleugh, who ran a general store and invested heavily in lumber and fish, became provincial fisheries inspector.

1898

1,836 people resided in Selkirk.

1898

International Order of Good Templar’s hall was built on Main Street.

1898

Oliver and Byron (flour and feed) built a new store at Main Street and Manitoba Avenue.

1898

G. H. Fox’s new butcher shop on Manitoba, and his competitor, I. Mills, constructed a two-story building complete with a large stable and ice house on Eveline.

1900

The boat building portion of the Selkirk Machine Works was started by Bill Purvis.

1900

Long distance telephone service was introduced by Bell.

1901

The Selkirk Literacy and Debating Society opened a reading room.

1901

J.K. McKenzie Fish Co. Ltd., which later became Imperial Fish Company, was formed.

1901

The Northern Fish Company was founded by William Guest, a fish retailer who had battled the Dominion Fish Co. which had tried to drive him out of business.

1902

 

This is a black and white photo taken in 1903 of the Moody Hardware store interior. There are four men inside the store with what looks to be empty paint cans hanging from the ceiling. The inside of the store is crowded with various objects.

Moody and Sullivan built a new brick store next to Bullock’s on Eveline.

1902

Captain William Robinson built Selkirk’s first department store.

1903

The Winnipeg, Selkirk & Lake Winnipeg Railway received an 85-year lease and some tax exemptions over twenty-five years, for daily service between Selkirk and Winnipeg.

1904

This is a black and white photo of The Selkirk Railway in 1906. There is a big black train with black smoke coming out the front going down the tracks with buildings on either side.

First trip of the Winnipeg Selkirk & Lake Winnipeg Railway occurred.

1904

 

This is a black and white photo of Knox Church in 1909. The church is white and has a tall point above the entrance with stained glass windows.

A new Knox Presbyterian Church opened.

1904

An empty lot at Main and Clandeboye became the Town’s farmers market square.

1906

North Ward School was built along Superior Avenue

1906

A passenger and freight station was built.

1907

This is a black and white photo of South Ward School. It has windows along the side of the building with trees along the outside.

South ward school was built.

1907

 

This is a black and white photo of Selkirk Central School in 1907. It is a large and tall building with multiple windows, surrounded by field space. There are many house across the street in the background.

The Selkirk Central School was built circa 1907.

1907

 

This is a black and white photo of the Selkirk Post Office taken in 1909. It is a tall building with many windows and front entrance. There are trees along the side of the building on the corner or the road.

Construction of the Post Office begun in 1907 by Brown and Garson Construction Corporation; it was designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of James Chisholm and Son.

1908

 

This is a black and white photo of the electric railway running through Selkirk in 1909. There are buildings on one side of the train, and a man waiting and watching the train on the other side.

The Winnipeg Selkirk & Lake Winnipeg Railway is electrified along its 22 mile track and it becomes “affiliated” with the Winnipeg Electric Street Railway Company (a trip of 50 minutes, one-way, at 30 miles per hour, with five round trips per day at 80 cents).

1908

 

 

 

This is a black and white photo of the Selkirk Hospital in 1908. It is a tall building with windows and a balcony above the front porch and entrance.

New three-story hospital opened.

1908

A new patrol wagon was purchased for taking inebriated people to jail.

1908

First movies were shown in one corner Pearson Hall (used for live theatre, etc.) by the Newman Electrical Comedy Company.

1908

The Selkirk bottling plant burned down.

1909

50 fire hydrants were installed with most located downtown.

1909

 

This is a black and white photo of the selkirk water tower taken in 1913. The water tower is very tall and is beside a small building.

Water was no longer obtained from the river.  Selkirk now drew water from an artesian well, pumped it into a water tower, and then distributed it to residents through nine miles of water mains.