Murray Sinclair Park

Murray Sinclair Park 301 Queen Ave Murray Sinclair Park was one of a pair of playgrounds built by the Kinsmen Club of Selkirk in the mid-1950s. It was part of a national Kinsmen program to provide improved play opportunities for the new wave of children born immediately after the war. Kinsmen South Playground on Main…

Selkirk Park

Selkirk Park486 Eveline St 100 acres (approx) Beginnings 1905-1911 On the morning of July 1, 1905, 1,200 members of the International Order of Oddfellows left Winnipeg for Selkirk aboard steam trains operated by the Winnipeg Selkirk and Lake Winnipeg Railway (WS & LW). They were greeted by Selkirk’s Oddfellows before walking a couple of kilometres…

Penwarden Park

Penwarden Park 600 block of Moody Avenue 2.5 acres (approx) Penwarden Park was created in 1966 as the development of the residential neighbourhood around it was set to begin. The earliest newspaper mention of Penwarden Park comes from the January 22, 1968 city council meeting: “Councillor Taylor suggested there should be an official opening of…

Queen’s Park

Queen’s Park 304 Eveline Street 1 acre (approx.) The site that is now home to Queens Park was vacant since the construction of the Selkirk Lift Bridge in 1935, and perhaps even longer as before the bridge, this junction was a busy ferry crossing. In May 1951, the local International Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF)…