Queen Anne was born February 6th, 1665 and reigned from March 1702 until her death in August 1714. She was the daughter of King James II and was the last of the House of Stuart. She was married to Prince George of Denmark and had 17 children, with only one of her sons, William III, Duke of Gloucester, surviving infancy. When William died at Kensington Palace due to a riding accident, she succeeded the throne. At first people viewed her as a weak and feeble Queen, but she later proved to be strong, proud, and was a well-liked monarch.
The architectural style, Queen Anne Revival Style, has very little to do with Queen Anne or the type of buildings that were in style during her reign. In fact, this style became popular around the late Victorian era, from 1890 to 1914, because people became more fascinated with the late Medieval Period. After World War I began, Queen Anne Revival style fell out of fashion.
Some distinguishing features of a Queen Anne Revival Style building include a steep, irregular roof, corner towers, asymmetrical shapes, bay windows, and several different surface textures. Patterned shingles and drop siding were very common as well as double hung windows. Tudor style windows, pillars and columns, and even wrap around verandas became the latest in architectural trend.
Style Comes to Selkirk
Many places in Canada were designed in this style including a house at 205 Eaton, right here in Selkirk. The house was built in 1898 by Robert Scott who was an agent and police magistrate. The Scott House has a dramatic and irregular roof with a corner tower, and a wrap around veranda and columns. The house was owned by the Robertson family from 1921 to 1990 where it was turned into a Tea House. To make the house more modern, the veranda has been enclosed but the house is still an excellent example of the Queen Anne Revival Style.
The Scott House isn’t the only residence designed in Queen Anne Revival Style in Selkirk. The Stuart House on Eveline Street by Selkirk Park is another great example. James Stuart was one of the founding members of the Selkirk Electric Company which brought electricity to Selkirk in 1904. The house does have a steep roof and a veranda, but it is not as dramatic as Scott House. The veranda does not wrap around, but still extends to length of the front of the house. Stuart House is now owned by the City of Selkirk. Its exterior was restored by the City with help from the Manitoba Government. In 1997, it received Municipal Heritage Designation.
The Queen Anne Revival Style architecture may not have much to do with Queen Anne herself, but it does showcase the architecture of the late Victorian Era, and the Stuart and Tudor Eras as well. Scott House and Stuart House are two beautiful buildings in Selkirk that demonstrate this elaborate style.