Picture that captures the front and the sides of the traders bank. The picture allows you to see the buildings three levels along with all the windows along either side of the building.

Trader’s Bank

389 Eveline Street Garson Quarries of Tyndall began work on the foundation of this building in July 1903. J. M. Beattie was in charge of the construction of the building. The first floor was shared by the bank and Moody’s hardware, the second provided space for many of the city’s professional offices, while the third…

Picture of the front of Stuart House. You can see the porch with surrounded by a railing, the second story window and the trees on the side of the house on a summer day.

Stuart House

478 Eveline Street James Stuart, manager of the Selkirk Electric Light Company, built this house in 1904. The Selkirk Electric Light Company was formed in 1890 and was the first producer of electricity in town.The 2 1⁄2 storey house is of brick masonry with a poured concrete foundation. It is distinguished by decorative brick belts,…

A side profile picture of the Selkirk Transit bus.

Selkirk Transit

The suggestion to have a transit service was first introduced in 2004 by Bill Chartier. Chartier was the owner of Will’s Taxi and had noticed the fees that taxis changed were too steep for low-income families and seniors.  The desire to have affordable and accessible transportation led him to connect with Councillor Duane Nicol.  Councillor…

Picture of the front entrance to the original Selkirk Public Library. Large arched entrance with two large windows on either side.

Selkirk Library

A citizens group called the Selkirk Literary Association was established around 1879, primarily to bring speakers to the town and to host debates. One topic in August 1879 was ‘…be it resolved that Canada is a better field for immigrants than the United States.’.  The society is mentioned sporadically through the 1880s, which suggests that…

Path that one can walk on through Little Lake park.

Little Lake

East End of Dorchester Avenue Little Lake Park was officially opened in 1991, but its roots date back to a much earlier greenspace called Daerwood Park. Located near the southern boundary of the former St. Peter’s Reserve, this land was going to be the site of a summer cottage subdivision, planned in the early 1900s…

Playground at Murray-Sinclair park.

Murray Sinclair Park

301 Queen Avenue Murray Sinclair Park was one of a pair of playgrounds built by the Kinsmen Club of Selkirk in the mid-1950s. It was part of a national Kinsmen program to provide improved play opportunities for the new wave of children born immediately after the war. Kinsmen South Playground on Main Street at Dorchester…

The Selkirk Park banner showing people on the shoreline of Selkirk Park watching boats pass by on the water

Selkirk Park

486 Eveline StOn the morning of July 1, 1905, 1,200 members of the International Order of Oddfellows left Winnipeg for Selkirk aboard steam trains operated by the Winnipeg Selkirk and Lake Winnipeg Railway (WS & LW). They were greeted by Selkirk’s Oddfellows before walking a couple of kilometres to what was formerly Red River Park…

The 108th Batallion lined up outside of Red Feather Farm.

Red Feather Farm

163 Edstan Place As its name suggests, this park was once part of a 37-acre farm with a storied history created by A. A. Gilroy. Gilroy came to Manitoba from Ontario in 1905 as a senior executive with the T. Eaton Company. At the time he started the farm, he was also president of the…